Running Down Dementia is an award-winning challenge from Alzheimer's Research UK and parkrun. We're challenging you to run 100km, 300km or a distance of your choice and raise £100 for cutting-edge dementia research.
Running Down Dementia runs from 1 April to 31 August and you can complete your challenge in any way throughout this time.
- Register to take part in Running Down Dementia.
- Follow the steps to create a Running Down Dementia supporter page, where people can view your progress and sponsor you.
- Connect your supporter page to either Strava or MapMyFitness to make sure your activity is tracked (Watch our videos about connecting your tracking app) or you can manually add your runs on your supporter page.
- Make sure you track every activity you do, otherwise it won't be counted towards your total.
- Get running! If you're looking for inspiration and motivation during your challenge, check out our #TeamARUK updates from our RDD Heroes, or get in touch to tell us your own story!
- Check your progress on the leaderboards and see how you, your local parkrun or your corporate team compare!
This year there are three Running Down Dementia Challenges: the 100km Pioneer Challenge, the 300km Epic Challenge and the Maverick Challenge where you can pick a distance to suit you!
Simply select your challenge when you sign up. All challenges have a fundraising target of £100.
Yes! Please email sportingevents@
Yes, simply log into your everydayhero account to change your target.
Sharing your story is a great way to raise awareness of your challenge, Running Down Dementia and Alzheimer’s Research UK more widely!
If you have been affected by dementia or are taking on your challenge in an interesting or different way, the press may be interested!
We have an easy to use press release and guide on our website, available here. Simply follow the instructions to contact your local paper with your story.
When you sign up to Running Down Dementia an online fundraising page will be automatically created for you.
To make the most of your page, we recommend you:
- Add a photo – so everyone can see your face!
- Set a target – we know that pages with targets raise more.
- Complete the ‘About me’ section – tell people why you’re challenging yourself for Alzheimer’s Research UK.
- Share your page – as far and as wide as you can using email and social media.
- Update – keep updating your page and sharing it throughout your challenge.
During Running Down Dementia we’ll be in touch regularly to help you make the most of your page and share extra fundraising ideas with you!
Join our Running Down Dementia Facebook group to meet other people who are passionate about dementia research www.facebook.com/groups/runningdowndementia
parkrun organise weekly, free, timed 5km events at more than 500 parkland locations across the UK. The events are open to everyone and all you need to do is register on their site, print your unique barcode and head along to your next local event. You can register for free at: www.parkrun.org.uk/register
No, you can still sign up even if you're not registered with parkrun. Just sign up to Running Down Dementia, create a supporter page, connect a tracking device and off you go.
Alzheimer's Research UK is proud to be the official charity partner of parkrun UK.
parkrunners have so far helped raise more than £890,000 for world-class research, which will help us in our mission to bring about the first life-changing treatment for dementia by 2025.
Yes – we'd love for you to be involved again this year! Just log back into your everydayhero account and set up your Running Down Dementia 2019 page within it. We'd advise doing a short test run to make sure your accounts are set up correctly and that your tracker is still connected before you start your run!
If you completed 100km last year, why not challenge yourself to our Epic 300km challenge or set your on challenge as a Maverick?
Absolutely not! You can do it your own way – whether that's across the full five months or in a time that suits you. As long as you track all your activity with your tracking app you can complete the challenge however you choose.
When you raise £200 one of our team will call you to say thank you and ask for your t-shirt size and delivery address. Once you’ve hit your £200 please allow 10 days for us to get in touch with you.
You can also buy a Running Down Dementia t-shirt at http://shop.alzheimersresearchuk.org
Of course! You can run, jog or walk your 100km and complete Running Down Dementia however you like. Just make sure you track all your activity with your tracking app.
Money raised from Running Down Dementia will support Alzheimer's Research UK's world class research, including treatments, preventions and ultimately a cure for the diseases that cause dementia.
Your donations will help pay for state-of-the-art equipment and will fund research at every level, from PhD Studentships to Major Projects. The money raised during Running Down Dementia 2019 may also contribute towards one of our big research initiatives or awareness campaigns.
Yes! You can still set up your supporter page and add runs manually within everydayhero.
If you can't spot your local parkrun on the list, email email@example.com and we'll add it on!
Check out these videos on how to connect your tracking device.